PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 23:56
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Pushers, shakers and limiters

I have to go with PJ, TD and Cland on the crew procedures and following both untuitive actions and those in the "books". Still a mystery to me why the PF did what he did and why the PNF did not take a more pro-active role.

I only flew one jet with the pusher, and that sucker was a 28 pound forward force. If close to the "pitch-up", and handling the jet carefully, it literally took the stick outta your hand! Flew another with the rudder shaker and anybody that didn't think they were getting close to a stall by then was a sorry pilot.

So I don't think a pusher would have helped. But there's more.

The Cl versus AoA curve we see in many 'bus discussions is not accurate. The jet does not lose a lot of lift when the curve reaches the max. and more degrees AoA are required before the thing completely stops flying. Further, the jet seems to have very benign stall characteristics, so entry could be disguised by WX turbulence, mach buffet, spoiler deployment, etc. In short, lowering the nose with a bit of power seems to be a viable recovery technique ( assuming the crew realizes their predicament). No point on the pitch coefficient plot to show a "deep stall" such as we had in the Viper. The THS and elevators could have enabled recovery.

My last point on the pusher is what good is it if the FBW system ignores AoA?

Some really good points lately, and I am happy to have been given a seat at the table.