PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seating families together?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 22:50
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I work for an airline witha free seating policy and even though I champion allocated seating which is likely to be adopted in near future and even though current seating policy causes passengers to be anxious, ultimately I believe that more people end up satisfied with free seating. At present, crew will get involved if a family boards last to ensure children are sat with an adult. Even though we board young children first, we can't and will not allow a child to be sat apart from their parents, however irritated we maybe that they weren't at the gate on time.

Now, the crews definition of sat together and that of the parents isn't always the same. Across the aisle or 2 aisle seats in front of each other are very much seats together in my book but SOME parents still argue the toss. Actually getting the whole family say together is a no no. If it is possible I will of course try but I refuse to move passengers to accomodate it. Some passengers, very kindly, volunteer to accommodate a full family and in the process make the crew appear heartless but otherwise the gesture is greatly appreciated.

People are right to point out that children sat away from parents are an issue when it comes to evacuations but families split up, particularly when each parent has a child will not hinder evacuation.

As for allocated seating, most check in agents will strive to ensure that a child is sat with an adult and with allocated of unallocated seating, such seating issues will only arise when load factors exceed 90/95%.

Last edited by easyflyer83; 13th Jul 2012 at 22:58.