PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 13th Jul 2012, 22:11
Cobalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In general - minimum hours training requirements are rubbish. Capability in that aircraft counts. Which is a combination of your experience, general capability, and how fast you learn.

I just checked my logbook. My SR22TN (G1000) checkout took a staggering 1 hour and 15 minutes. 3 landings, 1 ILS. Covered stalling, PFL, the usual. Plus a hefty dose of POH reading and half a day of systems and general chat with the instructor.

Why? I was very current on the Columbia 400 with G1000.

On the other hand, my check-out on the Columbia the year before took almost 10 hours, 30+ landings, and quite a few approaches, since it was my first glass-cockpit aircraft and its handling was significantly different from anything I had flown before.

And in both cases, what needed training and whether I was ready to fly the thing on my own was pretty clear to both me and the instructor.

But hey, I am still embarrased if I have to explain to the 1000 hour FAA PPL holder that, in addition to some sensible UK airspace and radio familiarisation, he needs a cross-channel check before we allow him to rent an aircraft and fly to France. I am clearly not sufficiently adapted to the UK training philosophy.