PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 21:15
mckpave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming the video link is a tape of the V-22 demo performance at the ongoing airshow, I would offer the opinion that the demo profile is so limited as to provoke asking " Why fly at Farnborough if that's all we are going to do? ". No pitch down? Absolutely. No roll off? Absolutely. But also ( to borrow from the D. Black article ) no tactical agility? Absolutely. External cargo? No. SAR/rescue hoist demo? No.
I must agree, pretty benign demo, it's operated much more aggressively on a daily basis. Hell, even my demo at Nellis in 2006 was better!!

The running landingat the end was a curious way to end the demo. Landing distance was about the same ( certainly no shorter ) as the C-17 normal demo for a short field landing and at least the C-17 then backs up and does a backward taxi turn into its parking space.
Watching the landing, notice that they never use aft nacelle to decel as you would if you're doing a true short field rolling landing. The standard profile is to touchdown using 85 Nac at around 60 KGS, it'll stop pretty quickly then, the biggest limitation being the brakes. My guess is that the pilot in this demo simply rolled it on and continued in order to exit at the end of the runway instead of stopping in the shortest distance.