PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I be contacted on a day off?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 19:50
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologise if I've given the wrong impression. I think the FTLs are extremely important but that it is usually possible to get enough rest even during the most challenging of rosters.

As for the actual EU Ops FTLS, the basic idea is that the length of preceding duty determines the rest period. During THAT period of time your rest is not to be interrupted, but it sounds like some people are suggesting the 'rest period' lasts until your next duty starts?

Unless you had a helluva day the previous duty period it is unlikely your rest period will end just at your next duty or standby begins. So, surely according to the FTLs the company are not in breach if they call you before your early standby starts?

Have I got this all wrong? If so, I stand corrected.

Oh, and, for the record, I wasn't suggesting that anybody get out of bed just because they're on standby! But if I am on a roster of 5 days of earlies, punctuated by a standby, I will get up early on the middle standby day to keep my body clock on the right lines. It helps if you have a baby who gets up at that time anyway...

Edited to point out to LSM that I know exactly how FTLs are calculated and you are deliberately misconstruing what I have said. Do I have to spell out everything to you?

Being called an hour before a standby commences does NOT infringe the FTLs unless the call is made during the Rest Period. The rest period starts when the last duty ends. Except as described above, it is rare in my line of work to have the duty, rest period and next duty so tightly packed.

Last edited by Mikehotel152; 13th Jul 2012 at 19:59.