PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I be contacted on a day off?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 17:47
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put it this way, it is up to us to plan our lives so that we get enough sleep within the constraints of our rosters.
Mikehotel152, with respect that is another matter altogether - I agree all crew members should ensure that the rest period is used correctly.

However, if the Company call you before your standby has commenced then clearly your rest period has been interrupted and is, in my opinion, not in accordance with the FTLs.

I'm being practical.
Maybe in your case you are but FTLs were not designed to be "practical" - they are a set of rules which should be followed to prevent excessive fatigue.

As irishpilot1990 has previously stated this can affect the WOCL and whether or not you have done an early previously is irrelevant.

It seems we will have to agree to disagree - what you deem to be practical I would see as a breach of FTL. How far do we take this? How would you feel if the Company called you an hour before standby commencement? Where do you draw the line? This is precisely why limits were introduced in the first place.

If there was an incident, or worse an accident, and it was proven that your preflight rest had been compromised because of an early call from the Company then I think I know who would be held responsible.