PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 17:14
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf_50;, Re,
Does "immediate actions" mean "memory items" or is that "break out the checklist/procedure and do these first" in a challenge/response style of ordered operations by the crew?
The term "Immediate actions" refers to the memory items only.

As we know, this drill has changed over the years. Until sometime in 2008, the drill began with "Immediate Actions", with no qualifying condition. There's info on this on the web or in the IR/Final Rpt as to when it changed but I don't have the time at the moment to source it.

Sometime in 2008, the qualifying condition, "If the safe conduct of the flight is impacted:" was added to the same drill items.

The way the drill was then written effectively split the drill into two parts: "Impacted/Not impacted". If "impacted", one does the boxed items. If not, the next "dot point" is "To level off for troubleshooting", etc. I don't think this was ever really clear prior to AF447. This is partly because within the memorized items under the qualifying phrase, was a qualifying condition that catered to low altitude failures but would not be done if the safety of the flight wasn't impacted: "When at, or above MSA or Circuit Altitude: Level Off for Troubleshooting". So the guidance was confusing, in my opinion and I thought the immediate actions should be qualified by flight-phase, not the very subjective, "If the safe conduct...", etc.

So there is no real, obvious guidance for cruise ADR or UAS/pitot failures because the drill was originally conceived after the Birgenair and Aeroperu accidents.

Trouble is, UAS events on the A330/A340 in cruise first occurred prior to April, 1996 and many listed in the BEA reports had occurred by 2008 yet the drill remained unchanged. I think appropriate training would sort this drill and checklist out such that it could be done correctly but sorting it out for oneself leaves the drill open, as we see, for interpretation as to what to do and when.

The addition of this qualifying condition placed the notion of "Immediate Actions" in limbo...What was one to do first?

At takeoff, it is clear - the safe conduct of the flight is impacted and one does the memorized items.

In stable cruise, even with mild turbulence, what does one do? "Above FL100, set pitch to 5deg, (about 2.5deg higher than normal cruise) and get out the books, but was this ever trained?

I'm won't re-argue the case but in response to your and BOAC's comments, aside from the addition of the qualifying condition, the drill hasn't changed, and still (to my knowledge) has not incorporated the AD admonition to not engage the AP or FDs, and not to follow the FDs until at least two airspeeds are considered valid.

Lots to chew on yet.

Here's the 2008 QRH UAS drill: