PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I be contacted on a day off?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 14:19
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In what other industry would people make such a fuss about being contacted by their employers? And why the faintly disguised aggression? Not exactly professional behaviour.

Yes, absolutely, calling at 1am when you're on an early standby is stupid, inconsiderate and possibly disrupts your rest thereby denying you your legal rest. But I haven't heard of that ever happening.

Calling on a day off? Big deal, if it's important I'm happy to take the call. If they want me to fly, I'm almost certainly unavailable due to previous commitments!

As for standbys, I am contractually on a 1hr report so if I'm on standby from 5am I know that I could be expected to be at the crew room for 6am. I will have my uniform ready, food in fridge, bag ready before I go to bed.

Being called out of bed at 5 for a 6 departure would be nightmare. I could make it, but I'd much rather get called at 4 or 4:30, have time for a coffee and a more leisurely drive. Seeing as in those circumstances I would have been in bed since 9pm, I'll be rested.