PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resume Gripes.
Thread: Resume Gripes.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 12:16
drag king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite an interesting subject, this is! Especially for me, who is planning to follow his girl to the other side of the world but has not "special appeal" other than some reasonable pilot experience!

I hope this is not regarded as a tread-hijack but I would like to hear from the other posters, since many of them are obviously sitting in the recruiter's chair.

As a potential EU expat I know I won't stand a chance until I get my CASA license but then I need to start knocking doors and that's when in gets tough. As I said before I have some reasonable experience, above the 1500 hrs-marks, ME turboprop time, speak couple of EU languages and the will to pick up an entry job anywhere-hopefully it won't be one of those "junior" jobs right from the start!

The plan is to persuade someone that I am worth being sponsored to stay, it's that simple. I sincerely hope this doesn't set someone on fire (you know what I mean) but if that was the case, then I am prepared to offer pretty solid counter-arguments. Fair play, nothing else.

To contribute to the OP, I would suggest any job-seeker to invest a bit of money on couple of those CV-guidelines books rather than picking the tips from the web. They are not bibles but they might offer you a neutral approach, then you have to put a lot of hard work in moulding your CV to the right shape. Yes it is true that today's profiling softwares require pretty standard formats but it's also true that not every company can afford them. A polite, professional and PERSONAL approach to a potential employer is the key, me thinks! And it all applies to the cover letter as well.

On a lighter note:

In desperation we rang some flying schools and asked if anyone had just finished and needed a job. Well apparently FNQ is much to far away for a 250 hour hopefull to travel for a job.
I would have killed for that sort of opportunity when I finished training.
No idea what was offered so it must have either been unappealing or they where nuts.
After I qualified as FI I had to sit on my hands for nearly 1 year, then I was "offered" a junior-position in a one-man-band operation, didn't work out well (the cash-flow was not there to keep it going), so back to the original FTO where I got started on...ahem...ZERO/hrs. That kept me current while I was working a night-shift job to feed me and pay the room but there was simply no life. When a mate suggested to get in touch with another friend who was instructing in Ireland I was on the 1st morning flight to Dublin. His boss arranged me an interview over the same WE and once back home all I had left to do was to pack and move my life to the green isle...

Shame that even then my 20's were loooong gone!

DK