PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I be contacted on a day off?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 12:04
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
m8rvk, not wanting to take the thread off course, but you are required to report 60 minutes after your call. Therefore, taking into consideration you need to get yourself ready, drive x distance to work, park up, wait for the staff bus or walk to the crew room/terminal, clear security etc., I don't see how, should you receive that call at say 06:00, you would be able to make it in on time if you were still in bed pumping up the Zzzzzzs at 05:00, even if you lived next door to the airport. As I say, FR don't call you in the middle of the night but sometimes just before your official standby commences & personally I don't see a problem with that, in fact it can take the pressure of a rush into work on the limit off your shoulders.
X-Centric, it depends - when I worked for Ryanair (thankfully I don't now) I could be from my bed to the crewroom within 35 minutes!! (Having had breakfast - all in the fridge waiting to go!). I wouldn't have dreamed of getting out of bed at 0415 "just in case" they called - time spent sleeping during standby was a huge benefit, especially when you'd probably already done 2 or 3 earlies before!

If the standby starts at 0500 then they should not be calling you before that time - this assumes you are observing the contract/ops manual which states you must report within one hour. Legally speaking if they call before that time then, as has been correctly stated previously, they are interrupting your rest period.

As regards days off if it's one of those companies that keeps calling you on a day off then get another phone etc.

There again I found it helpful if the first working day after days off was an early standby if they called you the day before to advise you rather than the phone going at 0500.