PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 00:57
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
Lone,

The Osprey does not like relative winds other than from head on....and if you read the posts made by Osprey pilots and accident reports that are quoted....they note a nose down pitching moment when cross winds are encountered. Add that to over rotation of the nacelles by the pilot which generates a nose down pitch movement, a forward shift in CG, and then combine that with a nose down pitch movement caused by the tail wind....that is why I suggest all this culminated in the pilot losing longitudinal pitch control of the aircraft.

A helicopter does not react in that manner....quartering winds don't necessarily result in nose down pitch moments, over rotating in pitch attitude does not result in a shift in CG....in some aircraft a tail wind can get under synch elevators or similar devices but not in all helicopters to the extent it affects the Osprey.

Likewise....helicopters pitch nose down with cyclic movement....and that is how they accelerate. In the Osprey...pilots are trained to apply aft cyclic while accelerating by rotation of the nacelles....which is exactly opposite of the way helicopters are made to accelerate. That makes the Osprey control inputs opposite of a helicopter in that part of its flight profile. I would assume that during landing....and decelerating....the cyclic is moved forward to keep the nose down and the nacelles are beeped aft....again just the opposite of a helicopter. Unlearning Monkey Memory is harder than learning new Monkey Memory items. I seem to recall there are warnings in the NATOPs about mixing pitch, roll, and yaw inputs at a hover or in the transition to forward airplane flight as the mix can result in control issues. That is exactly the mix the Morocco crash Pilot was doing when it all went egg shaped.