PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World Wide Airways
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2012, 00:56
donnakazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarauderFK138

Hello, this is Don McVicar's daughter, Donna, invited by 'albatross' to join this forum. It is thrilling to see here the interest in my dad's long and adventurous career in aviation. It is even more exciting to see the photo of one of the Widow Makers Dad wrote about in his first book, Ferry Command, posted here!

Last year I found out about publishing on the Kindle platform, and so a long-cherished dream to bring out Dad's books is coming true. Knowing him, I am sure he would be thrilled! I've been a professional artist since age 20, and Dad would frequently commission me to paint or draw various aircraft he'd flown.

Ferry Command was published by Airlife in 1981, but in 1991, Dad broke it up into two self-published books: Ferry Command Pilot and South Atlantic Safari. He added new material to both and gave them a little more 'spice.' (ahem)

It was Ferry Command Pilot I published last year on Kindle, using as the cover my painting of Dad's flight in a PBY over the Greenland icecap which he had commissioned from me. He focused on his Arctic explorations of the Crimson Route. He and Capt. Louis Bisson piloted Norseman ski-planes loaned to Ferry Command by the RCAF. Some very harrowing experiences indeed!

South Atlantic Safari focuses on Dad's delivery of the first RAF Marauder to Cairo, FK117. Soon after, he delivered FK138 to Prestwick, after solving some very serious problems with what he described as a "tricky aircraft."

Having the photo of FK138 to add to the historic photos used in South Atlantic Safari is truly a wonderful gift!

Despite being my dad's "copilot" when I was a kid, and growing up in World Wide's hangar playing on our aircraft, I will never be an expert in aviation as Dad was. My goal is to be a conduit of history, doing what I can to keep the stories alive for the generations to come.

I will be extremely grateful for any help, advice, or support that will get Dad's books back into publication.