PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2012, 22:01
Danny42C

Jack

At that stage ('44), I don't think Partition had even been considered as an option; we planned to hand over a united India to a successor Goverment. Planned ? I think it was more of an aspiration: we wished to grant Independence to India as Augustine prayed for chastity - "but not yet".

Churchill said something to the effect that "he had not become the King's First Minister to preside over the dissolution of the British Empire" (I stand to be corrected). And India was not merely "the brightest jewel in the Crown", it was pretty well the whole thing. Of course, the Indian officers of all Services could sense what was going on. In fact, they had only to wait three years, but that was by no means clear to anybody then.

It was decision time for the Anglo-Indian community; they had always been in "no man's land", now they must choose which way to jump. My impression (for what it is worth) is that their hearts said "Britain", but their heads had to admit "India", where they already had a strong base in the railways, posts and telegraphs. Many Anglo-Indians rose to high rank in the IAF.

It is almost seventy years since I left India; I do not know how things are now,

Danny