PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2012, 21:38
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
We are all at potential risk of failing if the conditions are too far out of our personal comfort zones .. indeed, as is observed periodically, the simulator can be used as an instrument of torture to overload any pilot to the point where he/she cannot cope and, hence, fails. Pointless exercise but it happens.
Not completely pointless.

I posit for you three different crews, A, B, and C.

I sit as master torturer running the sim, and proceed to add task loading (via failures and malfuncitons) to the point where the crews fail. As we have discovered, we can usually find a way to task saturate nearly anyone, and nearly any crew.

For the sake of illustration:
After cascading seven failure tasks, Crew A are done for.
Cascading of 9 failure tasks does in Crew B.
Cascading of 13 failure task finally does in Crew C, and the sim torture master only had one more trick up his sleeve.

As each crew ultimately fails at a different level, I as training department, or as chief pilot, or whomever, have some information upon which to help inform who needs work on what, in terms of the training and proficiency requirements and systems knowledge.

Likewise, the crews may, after giving me the occasional dirty look, be aware on their own of some limits or holes in their knowledge of systems that they were not previously aware of. <== That is crucial to most pilots I have ever met, all of whom like to be good at what they do and tend to correct or improve areas where they find themselves not up to scratch.

For What It's Worth, not without value.
In the commercial world, however, there is a fine decision to be made due to cost of sim time, in terms of how often and how brutal, and what to emphasize. There are not infinite training funds.