PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2012, 19:51
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:Seems unusual for an MP to flatten half his own constituency! Or at least plan to.“

Indeed it does! Although the two towns are in different constituencies.

Quote: “In a certain irony, this would be more likely to go through with a Labour government given that most of the local area are Tory voters.“

Not so, Bedfont and Stanwell contain a high proportion of Labour voters. There was a time when these towns were Labour strongholds, maybe Blair put paid to that(?).

Quote:It could be, of course, that the Free Enterprise Group have just graduated en masse from Negotiating 101 - demand more than you want and then the other side is relieved when you agree to settle for half of your original request.

I think that is almost certainly what it is, and also the reason why the Estuary airport is being proposed as the alternative.

Shall we build a third runway, at a fraction of the cost, or build a mega expensive new airport in the middle of a wild fowl sanctuary on the other side of London?!

Of course, it could all be bluff and counter bluff. However the best one is to make expansion look like the best bet by threatening the objectors with permanent mixed mode so that those under the flight path lose their daily half-day of peace. Oh wait a minute, that won’t work, all the vocal objectors live miles away from the airport, they won’t be affected.

Quote:The third runway starts to look like the best option... “

Not “starts to look like“, it IS the best option, by far!

Quote:Gideon may have to pull his finger out and make a decision, but Milliband is playing a very clever game at the moment.

As we know, the last Labour government actually approved a third runway, but the current Edd & Edd iteration has given no indication where it stands.

The significance of course is that if it were to support a third runway (as is the logical thing to do) then Gideon wouldnt need to worry about Clegg and the Liberal loonies think. However, if they are to go it alone then the Lib Dems opinion actually counts, as the Tories need their support in the coalition.

My suspicion is that Labour would support the runway, but will do everything in their power to avoid saying that right up until election time for fear of handing the upper hand to the Tories.

This is a very good analysis!

The question is: why did it take Labour 6 years to approve the third rwy? Good grief, it could have been up and running by now!

Miliband does not to need to say anything just now.

Who knows why Call-Me-Dave allows the teaboy (Cleggover) to call the tune. The Libdems will never walk, they’ve got their noses in the trough for the first time in 80 years!

Even if they did, Call-Me-Dave is more than able to run a minority government. Neither Labour nor the Libdems would bring him down and risk an early election.

The former can’t afford it, the latter would be annihilated! AND we’d all benefit from the Conservatives pursuing moderate policies, just in case!

Quote:I would take issue with the word "will", as a proper strategic review would ring fence within the British Isles (yes I KNOW!), to be safegaurded and built upon.

That would be the likes of INV, JER, IOM, GCI and the possibility of adding MME, NQY and maintaining LBA. This would allow LHR to directly benefit the regions with one stop to the world and would be served by modern and quiet aircraft."

And probably several other destinations. Quite right too! Much of the country needs regeneration and inward investment, this connectivity would help immensely.

Quote: As for Gatters, look at the big players. Under no I would say :
flybe (unless they introduced the routes as per above)
easyJet (they might try it and see)
Ryanair
Thomson
Thomas Cook
Monarch

Under yes would be the likely consolidation of Virgin and long haul BA, but Aer Lingus serve LGW in their own right as do Lufthansa. We might see TAP and Air Malta consolidate at LHR but I suspect that would be it.
The new long haul troops would move to LHR, a no brainer IMHO. That's Korean, Air China and Vietnam. Hong Kong Air I suspect won't be on the route long enough to ask the question. Even if that all happened there's a fair bit of room to play with there if it's managed well. I can't believe I said that last bit with a straight face because if that were possible, well we wouldn't be here would we?"

Another excellent analysis, this thread’s getting better!

Even with a third rwy, LHR will not attract the no frills and charter operators. Maybe BE and BD regional(?) on thin domestic routes, but not FR and doubtful U2.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 12th Jul 2012 at 19:58.