PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2012, 19:29
Lonewolf_50

Received 449 Likes on 284 Posts
Now let's add a 20-27 knot tail wind....throw in a pedal turn at the same time....out of wind to down wind....and bad things happen.
That could even end up in something bad with a helicopter.

Must be all that rapid acceleration can be addictive.
Could be.
It does seem counter-intuitive to have to apply aft cyclic as you accelerate by rotating the nacelles forward. It makes sense when you consider the objective is to maintain a reasonably level airframe pitch attitude during such transitions.
SAS, not sure why this is counter intuitive, unless you reference folks like you and I, who have certain patterns established as helicopter pilots.

Nacelles are left hand (on the collective) controlled, though not per se a "collective command" while nose pitch remains R/H -Cyclic-stick. As I understand the analysis, the nacelles were over rotated for the speed. It seems to me not that he didn't maintain nose pitch so much as ran out of control authority necessary to do so.
I may have misunderstood something there, however.

How does a pilot end up in that situation?
There is the likelihood that it was a matter of learning and applying the correct monkey skills for flying a tilt rotor, which are not identical to the monkey skills for flying a helicopter.

I bet a friend of mine that the pilot at the controls was most likely a former helicopter pilot. (GIven that most Osprey pilots were transitions from rotary wing, a pretty safe bet ...)

I may be wrong.

FWIW, type/conversion training is supposed to take care of teaching the right way to fly, but some monkey skills get imbedded deeply.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 12th Jul 2012 at 19:32.