PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Airbus 319 Suspected Triple Hydraulic Failure
Old 12th Jul 2012, 19:24
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landing with 3 hydraulic systems failure was incorporated in our recurrent training program in my company after the DHL Baghdad incident. Since we were/are flying in sensitive areas (Irak, Kabul, Sudan, Yemen), the probability of being hit by a missile is greater than if you fly let's say in northern Canada. I and my colleagues have landed numerous times on A320, B767 and E190 (in the simulator of course) with the 3 hydraulic systems failure. After a little bit of practice, any pilot with a minimum of coordination can land on the pavement. So CaptProp, if one day you fly with a current or ex Gulfair pilot in the flight deck and we encounter this failure, while you kiss your arse goodbye, we'll be trying to land the airplane on the numbers.
I will not say you can't do it, since I have never tried it myself, and you say you have, and on occasions even been successful in the simulator, but to come on here and say "while you kiss your arse goodbye, we'll be trying to land the airplane on the numbers" is just BS. That is not saying its not good to have tried it a couple of times, why not? Having said that.....

Did you try doing this in any sort of low-ish visibility? With any cross winds/gusty winds? From cruise down to landing? Prolonged flight in IMC? Actually flying an approach of some kind?

Or was it just from 10 nm final lined up with the "pavement" and CAVOK, in flight freeze and "Ok guys, are you ready? Then I'll un-freeze you and off you go lads!" ??

I would give the average crew 1 in 1000 to make it. On a good day.

Not referring to Yo767 here, but there are a lot of people around here, some even claiming to fly / know the airbus, making the most ridiculous comments about the airbus and its systems.

To clarify some things....

- Flight controls are Electrically-controlled and Hydraulically-activated.

- If you lose ALL electricity "MAN PITCH TRIM ONLY" will be displayed on the PFD and manual pitch trim (Mechanical control) of the THS is possible through the pitch trim wheel. This is called "Mechanical Backup" and has nothing to do with HYD systems.

- The Stabilizer is activated by Green or Yellow HYD pressure. If you have no HYD pressure at all, you will have no control of the THS. Referring to mechanical control of the THS there is a note in the FCOM stating "This function is inoperative, when the green or yellow hydraulic system is not pressurized"

- Rudder pedals gives the pilot MECHANICAL control of the rudder but the rudder is HYDRAULICALLY actuated via three independent hydraulic servojacks. In other words, if you have no HYD pressure you can not actuate the rudder.