PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot 'Apprenticeship'
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2003, 00:49
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

There is a lot of fun and especially experience that you can get from instructing, air taxi or flying a turboprop. Those are (in my view) the 3 best areas in commercial aviation! If the money in PPL instructing was on a par with airline salaries then you would see quite a few airline guys swap their jet for a piston! I have had quite a few guys tell me that which is quite interesting! Flying a Boeing or an Airbus can be very rewarding but I feel that a lot of the fun and mystery has been removed when compared to a 707 or a Bac 1-11 (for example), which do not have EFIS or an FMC. As one heavy Boeing driver who I know, once said to me 'Even a trained monkey can follow a flight director!'. Non-precision approaches into remote airfields and thinking on your feet while in the middle of nowhere are all part and parcel of Air Taxi ops. Many people who flew Air Taxi aircraft feel that it was a good grounding for their command later on in their career, on larger aircraft. A medical emergency on a jet into an airfield that you have never been to before, which has very little support (handling, ops etc) will be an experience that the average former Air Taxi pilot will be able to relate to and deal with, without even thinking about it. That avenue of flying is sadly locked unless you have more then 700 hrs TT due to JAR OPS. Personally if I was offered a job on a turboprop, then I would ideally like to stay and move into the left seat. Ask me a few years ago and I would have merely seen a turboprop as a 'stepping stone'!