PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 11th Jul 2012, 22:31
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an owner for some years my opinion and 0.02 cents worth

What is not clear to me with the Cirrus and high insurance is why?
Because of the higher hull value generally and there were categorically to many crashes for a time much higher than average GA and other TAA aircraft. Now it is pretty much comparable with other TAA.

Is it a result of the chute and write offs caused by its deployment?
Certainly not IMHO (I know we have done it to death recently) Many years there are ZERO caps pulls but 10+ fatality's

Is it because the chute lures inexperienced or even experienced pilots into conditions they would be wary of if the chute was not there?
Debatable, but I do not think significant personally and from my observations, although weather and VFR into IMC is a significant factor in Cirrus Pilot error's

Is it because of handling characteristics which require very precise operation by the pilot?
I think like any high performance aircraft a Cirrus can get you into trouble but from a handling point of view it is pretty standard, too high a landing speed is often a Pilot error leading to crashes and often death. Plus base to final stall can be an issue if not flown correctly. Other than that handles beautifully.

Is it poor training?
Yes I think a factor, specific to type, I think for some years also incorrect training with landing speeds and technique, these issues largely addressed now and standards improved dramatically with the efforts of COPA and CPPP (Cirrus Pilot Proficiency Programmes)

Is it because the aircraft attracts low time pilots who are out of their depth in the aircraft?
No I honestly do not think so, more than half the Cirrus fatal's are Pilots with 400+ hours, therefore generally out of the traditional killing zone
Is it none of the above? I also believe much more than half are pilots with Instrument ratings. The low hour thing due to marketing hype is a bit of a myth.

Not sure of current facts but up until 2008 there was only one fatality with a pilot less than 150 hours, and that was Cory Liddle in NYC who had an instructor on board. The estate tried to sue Cirrus for an aircraft malfunction but I believe black and white Pilot error.