PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2012, 20:39
pzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Khan Creek

All this talk of Sharjah brings back the odd memory, I was an oily offshore Dubai - best schedule ever - 4 days on platform 2 off (noise levels) & 3 mths then 1 month UK
Used to swim at Khan Creek which was understood to be border between Dubai & Sharjah, only a few fishing boats and a Pepsi wallah
A few RAF lads used to be around - though I believe it was technically off limits due rip tide
Remember trying to acquire a 'Landie' from surplus stocks but the prices were a bit high we'd hoped for about £75 and they allegedly went for £250+
Knew a Brit/Kenyan who was in Sharjah Police, he allegedly witnessed the Abu Defence guy (ex Marine?) who lost a finger(tip) during the overthrow of the Sheik
Following RAF pullout used to visit TOS/BATT Team Sgts Mess where on guest nights they used to rip us off by upping the beer by 10% - this to make life easy for the barman - normal price was 90 fils & guest nights 1 riyal (Now Dirham) ALL in a good cause
Also after RAF pull out I managed to get Draught Beer for my apartment (Double Diamond) - this from GrayMac's - Bristow's guys did the same

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Last edited by pzu; 11th Jul 2012 at 20:40.