PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 1st Jan 2003, 22:15
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumbo

I usually add about three inches to the MP at throttle back, which is probably a little pessimistic.

I can't go along with my conservative position on leaving the gear down as being "way off the mark".

Firstly remember that I only have one hydraulic pump, so, as A and C pointed out, I am stuffed if I lose that engine and want to land back.

Secondly, I would like to remind you of the tragic C404 accident at Glasgow, where a top-hole pilot took the decision to continue rather than force land, with disastrous consequences (8 dead, 3 injured).

Thirdly, I refer you to the article in the current "Pilot" by the guy who decided to land back in a Perf A a/c (748 IIRC) at Stansted.

Landing back is not for whimps, is is a valuable option in our armoury, and is made much easier if you leave the gear down 'til you can't use it no more.

If you consider leaving the gear down "pessimistic" then I am honoured. I am a pessimistic pilot, and that pessimism has kept me alive through the 32 years I have been flying