PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interpretation of what is raw data approach.
Old 11th Jul 2012, 14:09
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As i said above, personally i consider "true" raw data only uncooked nav data, however in our increasingly electronic world that becomes a thing of the past. Most non precision approaches nowadays are RNAV, precision approaches are slowly moving over to GLS. Neither can be flown raw data, but both can be flown in the familiar ILS style with a normal displacement pointer on the ND instead of a flashy map display.
Agreed.

Another point is that with many EFIS fits, certain things can't be switched off, for instance wind and track information. "Raw data" approaches become much easier when you can just plonk the track on the needle.

Also, PFDs do not encourage much of a "traditional" instrument scan as most of the information is gathered together in one area. With a HUD, the need goes away almost completely.
Do you guys really claim that during your sim. You don't do a single engine raw- data ILS and non precision?! Come on!
Yup. AT in and FD on. Alternate checks with AP in/out. NPA SOPs are for AP in only. That's how the owners of the train set wish it to be played with...

To be fair, the V1 cut - ILS - GA - NPA style of check is becoming consigned to history as isn't a very realistic scenario. I doubt if few or any have ever *had* to follow that sequence in real life. Better to use the limited time to *train* lots of different types of failures to competence.