PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interpretation of what is raw data approach.
Old 11th Jul 2012, 12:04
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We do not use LNAV/VNAV on the boeings, all approaches are flown in approach mode if one is using automatic flight. Doesnt matter which kind. And of course all approaches can be flown manually and with autothrust and flight director off as well, no restrictions of any kind either except low vis of course.

If no approach is in the database we could fly normal nav data based approaches using basic modes or manual flight as well, however we do have complete database coverage for all suitable (runway length) airports in our area of operation and all surrounding areas as well. It is simply SOP to select the approach in the FMC and fly it from there. However we are encouraged to do so without flight directors and autoflight system.

As i said above, personally i consider "true" raw data only uncooked nav data, however in our increasingly electronic world that becomes a thing of the past. Most non precision approaches nowadays are RNAV, precision approaches are slowly moving over to GLS. Neither can be flown raw data, but both can be flown in the familiar ILS style with a normal displacement pointer on the ND instead of a flashy map display.

Sadly a few years ago the requirement to demonstrate a raw data OEI ILS to minimums vanished and we rarely do it nowadays in our checks. We have an increasing part of raw data manual basic IFR flight however to increase basic flight proficiency. Sad in itself that it has to be trained though, but the worldwide trend of LOCIF demands it.

Last edited by Denti; 11th Jul 2012 at 12:06.