PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2012, 16:14
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Tuk-Tuk weighs in:
I put the AVRS/lift differential or whatever you call it I'm the same category as twin engine props losing an engine after take off. How many mishandled it and rolled in. We haven't stopped flying King Airs because of it.
Tut-tut, Tuk-Tuk, WRONG!

The King Air pilot you desribe has a couple of things going for him. 1) For one thing, there's a big "ENGINE OUT" caption up on the panel in front of him to warn him about what's going on. 2) Most King Airs I've flown also have this thing called "AUTOFEATHER" which takes the load off of the prop that's not being driven by its engine anymore.

The V-22 pilot HAS NO SUCH DEVICES. An "A-VRS Detector" has not been invented yet. So when a wing of a V-22 drops on approach, the pilot has no idea whether this is just an errant gust of wind, A-VRS or "roll-off caused by some other reason," all of which may have different responses required of him.

Definitely NOT the same as an engine failure in a twin-engine plane.

And see, that's what I'm getting at here. Some of you people THINK you "know" a lot about a V-22. You make these asinine and irrelevant comparisons to airplanes or helicopters, without fully understanding what we're dealing with here. And what we're dealing with is an aircraft with an inherently defective design.

Lone, rather than debate all of your inane statements point by point, let me just address one:
In other words, not every asymmetry in thrust / torque causes a roll to inverted state, but the risk is there.
Asymmetric thrust and asymmetric torque are two different things. As you should probably know, a single engine failure (asymmetric torque) will not cause asymmetric *thrust* as the proprotors are shaft-connected together.

Asymmetric *thrust* WILL cause the V-22 to want to roll over and dive for the ground. Only split-second detection and proper reaction on the part of the flight crew can even hope to save the day.

Your analogies about fighters losing wings and split-flap situations in fixed-wing are amusing but irrelevant to a discussion about asymmetric lift/thrust in a tiltrotor aircraft. (Oh, and by the way, the fighter pilot can eject if his a/c departs controlled flight due to loss of a wing. The hapless passengers of a V-22 can do nothing but enjoy the brief-but-exciting roller-coaster ride to their doom.