PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2012, 18:34
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
However, none of this changes the fact that, unlike the Bell 206, the tiltrotor is still an inherently unsafe, defective design.
Nope. Check flight hours logged versus mishaps. Nothing inherently unsafe about it. As with any aircraft, the Osprey can kill you.

Welcom to Aviation, FH.

I know a few of the folks who died in those CH-53 accidents. SAS, while I appreciate that you were attempting to be humorous, I'll counter your jab at the Marines with the long standing Army theory of helicopter pilot training: high school to flight school to the grave. (There appears to have been some improvement in recent history ... )

FWIW, Sans: a CH-53 (Japanese version) in Japan that went down (suspected swashplate issues) doesn't look to be on the list. Some folks believe that the mishap at Sikorsky in 1996, the one in Japan, and the one in Corpus Christi in 2000 had the same root cause: that newfangled dry swashplate bearing. (Before the bearing monitor panel finally got implemented ... )

Above considered, the CH-53 is an amazing machine, and has done good service for our nation. I hope the K keeps that legacy alive.