PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2012, 16:11
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow! All those '53 accidents/incidents since 1977! (Except that it looks like two of them - reported on July 12 and July 13, 1985 respectively might be the same one.) Thirty-five years and how many aircraft produced?

Sans, you might better have posted all Bell 206 accidents since introduction of the type. That's the ship I normally fly (aside from this wacky summer job flying the S-55). If you'd done that I might never want to get into a 206 again!

But yet somehow the Bell 206 was rated the "safest aircraft ever produced." Not safest helicopter, safest aircraft. How can this be?

Sans, you note that the V-22 has only had 3 "incidents" in the last five years. But this means nothing. It's curious that you minimize (trivialize?) fatal accidents by calling them incidents. In fact, Wikipedia notes seven "incidents" in the last five years if we widen the scope of the word.

However, none of this changes the fact that, unlike the Bell 206, the tiltrotor is still an inherently unsafe, defective design. Has been since Bell started messing with the concept in 1953. Always will be. History will prove this to be so. V-22 production will *not* continue beyond what's already been allocated. There will be no new tiltrotor designs produced. The small number of V-22's that do exist will be long gone in a few years - much fewer than 60.

And that's okay: I can wait.