PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???
Old 11th Jul 2012, 00:01
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting Cirrus insurance requirements ???

I have been looking at renting hours on a Cirrus aircraft and found one an SR20 which sounded good value regarding monthly and especially hourly rates.
All looked good until I was told that regardless of experience there was a dual 10 hour requirement before you could fly off on your own.

This is crazy as 10 hrs is 1/4 of a complete PPL course and you can get a far more complex jet full type rating for far less.

I have an ATP and 5000 hrs 3000 in an array of piston twins and singles and the rest in turbine /jet aircraft. So no novice!!!

At one time I used to fly aircraft where I was thrown a set of keys and told to take that! Piston singles which I had never flown before and complex too!

Working it out just the conversion eats up £2000 and I sense a rip off under the excuse of "not our fault guv blame the insurance"!!!

A checkout on any single should be whatever it takes. I would be surprised if I would need more than a couple of hours at most and would happily take any single piston with a look at the manual and that is it.

Is this a rip off or just standard insurance generated practice as I was told ?
It took NO consideration of experience or hours flown?

Regardless any ideas on a sensible price Cirrus with a sensible checkout requirement which I can rent for 30 hrs per annum?would prefer a 20 to a 22!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 11th Jul 2012 at 00:18.