PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coldwar RAF U-2 Pilots
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2012, 16:28
riggersnr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I served as the Flt Cdr on 84 Sqn (local SAR helo unit) at RAF Akrotiri in the late 70's.

In that period the U2s made daily flights from Akrotiri - and I would guess still are - taking off at 6am and landing at 3pm, usually on time. I regularly walked to 84 in the cool of the early morning and never grew tired of watching a rather unstable, vehicle and outrigger assisted take off develop into an impressive climb, even fully laden with JP5 fuel. Viewing the later approach from the beach had additional and distracting attractions.....

The operating unit - Olive Harvest Det 7 - were very cooperative when I asked for our winchmen to have a hands-on experience of the U2 cockpit and aircrew safety equipment, a learning process that we all gained from, though I'm not sure that all the security restrictions were observed fully. I found the staff and pilots to be friendly and sociable (but very focussed, professionally) and I enjoyed the company, especially the bbqs that produced the largest steaks I had ever seen!

Incidentally, as a result of the fatal U2 crash Flt Lt Bernie Limm, a most engaging Herc Nav serving in Akrotiri Ops, saved the lives of several persons who had been trapped in a burning building, and was awarded subsequently the Queen's Gallantry Medal.