PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2012, 16:28
Gnato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine rating modes

This is a repost, but I'm not sure if the question was missed by people with knowledge, or ignored, so I put it up again.

Welcome everyone. I am new to this forum and thread but must confess that I have read all the pages of this amazing topic. I am an aviation enthusiast flying on different planes in FS9. One of them is SSTSIM Concorde. My question concerns engine rating modes in general with Concorde in mind.

AFAIK (and this is a perfect time and place to fix my knowledge) engine rating modes on ordinary turbofan engine are:

- TO- dictated by safety - full power in order to get obstacle clearence/ GA
- CLB - cut down in power for engine prolonged life, but still high to get to fuel efficient altitude ASAP
- CRS - for economic and long, stable flight

Concorde is not an airplane, so things look quite different, huh?
We have a pair of switches, one is take off - flight, second climb- cruise, so we have:

1. Take off with TO and CLB
2. Climb with FLT and CLB
3. Cruise with FLT and CRS
4. Descent with FLT and CLB
5. Approach with TO and CLB

Can somebody explain, what really engine rating modes change in the work of the engine, why we have CLB again for descent (when they work close to idle) and why there are two systems overlapping?
I don't need strict numbers, just general idea confronted with ordinary planes. Thank you in advance.

Dan