PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 1st Jan 2003, 13:55
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck, I couldn't agree more. At least JAR has started something worthwhile and thats the yearly Prof Check on a Multi Rated Pilot. It was about time. When teaching multi to PPL's I always ram home the need to start approaching flying twins in a very professional and considered manner. More so than the days of your PPL initial.

Sycamore,

Regarding ASDA/EMDA. At Rtow which it isn't normally then it would be the full length of the strip.

If it was max well depends. But here is were we delve into dodgy ground. If you use the published CAA approved take-off performance figures one cannot operate a Seneca out of such a strip. Simply because there is no approved perf data for using the short field technique with 25 degrees of flap.

Piper have produced charts for these configurations but were never formally added to the Piper Approved Manual. So if operating to Public Transport Pax Carrying etc then it is illegal. But my understanding is as it is Aerial Work, we can operate to Non Public Transport rules, despite the aircraft having mandatory Public Transport CofA!

Therefore using 25 degrees at max weight and wet grass with calm winds on a warm day it is legal according to Pipers Handbook. Yes it is tight, when an engine fails. That is why the takeoff brief is quite explicit. One has to be aware of the fact that rotation happens below Vmca. Therefore students/pilots are taught that one should close both throttles land back on and prepare for slow impact with fence etc or into farmers field as is the case of a single engined aircraft. ALso until blue line and 300 feet is achieved after T/o, a forced landing with the good engine is required. This also involves a shallow turn to avoid housing.

Remember, some Senecas are certainly classified as Perf E - They will force land in any event. That is why we also use the Perf E take-off perfomance check of noting that 80% of unstick speed is achieved in 40% of TODR. I may be incorrect here as it might be TORR. I would need to check in our ops manual as I can't remember off hand now! Haven't flown it for a couple of months, and don't teach often enough to have it all lodged in the brain! And I can't be bothered to work it out logically whilst typing! It was a heavy night last night!

Regarding the low and slow bit. What I meant was that pilots are taught to fly the single engined approach to the same aspect (angle) as a twin approach and obviously not below blue line until commited. Ie 3 degrees/91 knots. But students tend to feel when underpressure that this is low and slow, so consequently end up high and fast! I was trying to put in words what I believe the student often believes, not what they are taught.

As to the Canberra/Meteor QFI bit. Well as much as I was taught by an ex RAF pilot of similar type experience, I was never alive when they flew operationally! No offence taken