PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2012, 06:55
Lee Baker Street

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a youngster I was fortunate enough in that my father, grandfather and uncles worked for Britannia. This meant having the opportunities to accompany my father working 12 hour shifts, and me spending whole days sat on aircraft steps positioned next to the line office which was in front of the hangar.

Every half hour or so I sat in the tug with him as he pushed the aircraft back. Embarassingly I used to draw pictures of the Monarch one-ellevens and Boeing 720's and show them to an elderly gentleman who liked to come over to the line office and watch himself the unfolding events on the apron. I got to know the elderly man quiet well and at my young age not appreciating he was someone important. I would eventually come to realise he was in fact Derek Davidson the leading Pilot and subsequent MD of Britannia. Also embarrasingly, every now and then I would tell my father to get the pilots autographs because back then pilots were deemed as gods!

I only wished that I had a camera with me on the dozens of days sat on that Apron.

So I do recall all the classic jets and airlines that used to operate from Luton and in turn whilst I do not recall Monarch Bristol Britannias, I have seen various photos of me (extremely young) on the apron with them in the background. But I do recal Redcoat Britannias and Aer Turas Britannias and CL44D.

I do however agree that the aircraft of the 70's and 80's were much more interesting. Todays jets are far too quiet!