PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2012, 01:16
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
angelorange, Just to clarify something:

My understanding of Deep/Super Stall is the stage after the initial stall when the aircraft is not recovered immediately - i.e: held in the stall (in AF447 case through aft control column, and full aft tailplane trim along with full thrust).
A "Deep Stall/Super Stall is confined to an airplane design having a "t-tail". What happens is, under a severe pitch-up and speed decay situation the wings stall and the turbulent air coming off the top surfaces of the stalled wings renders the horizontal stabilizers and elevators useless in terms of recovering from the stall condition. The C-17 crash is a prime example of this phenomenon as was the NW B-727 accident out of JFK in December 1974. I am only aware of one successful recovery from a deep stall on a t-tail aircraft. It occurred during the B-727 test program where the test pilots had enough altitude and were able to rock the wings to get the nose down and regain speed and lift on the wings.

AF447 never suffered from this sort of condition. The THS and elevators still had lift in the stall and a prolonged forward stick probably would have recovered the aircraft. The design of the aircraft matters a lot.