PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resume Gripes.
Thread: Resume Gripes.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2012, 01:10
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although the boom years are rather cyclic in nature there is never really an easy road to that first gig.
Much of the problem seems to stem from the youngsters that 'graduate' with a CPL and seem to think they are somehow qualified as a Pilot. Many operators expect much more than just some form of flying ability.

I know of two guys at least that have scored jobs without a CPL.
The last was about twenty years ago and the operators didn't relish going through a pile of CV's from some out of town prospectives. They chose instead someone who had been flying on a PPL for many years and asked him if he would be interested in changing occupations.
I covered the position and helped tutor him through the CPL subjects while he got himself organised. The delay was only a few months and there was no loss to the business. In the end they got a pilot who gave a couple of decades service. Possibly about 18 or so years more than any of the names in the CV pile..
Some Companies just don't need a turn-over of inexperienced pilots. It may not depend on how personable you are, how well you fly, or the hours in the logbook... they just don't want to go through the hiring mode again in 18 months time.

Horses for courses I am afraid.

I have seen the volume, and content, of many CV's received by 3rd level operators. I cannot see how all those applicants could ever expect a reply.
We have all done it, sent a chain email, or letter, to every possible Company that you think you may have a chance with.

Those that actually have a job normally have better things to do, - normally something a little more productive.

The CP also has to show restraint at times.