PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Learned About Flying From That (ILAFFT)
Old 9th Jul 2012, 22:18
RMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similarly, during my first year of flying. Upon lifting at the fuel pumps, I thought I heard a sound like “shlink”. Couldn’t tell if it was my imagination (BoseX do work really well). I sit motionless for a few seconds checking/looking and then think nothing of it and take off. (I later find the "shlink" sound is a fuel cap sliding down the side of the fuselage onto the concrete).

Downroute while seated at the table for lunch, I get a call asking if I’m missing a fuel cap. I go out and check and yes it’s mine. I tape a big “X” with duct tape over the opening for the flight home and all was fine. Except the guy who found the fuel cap only did so after pulling another helicopter over top of it smashing flat (it was the same custom colour to match the heli).

Other story:

My front left PAX has never been in a helicopter. Again first year and SFH, so every time I fly I’m in a different helicopter. I notice I see more daylight than usual around the passenger’s door frame (this was ill fitting even by R44 standards). As I’m commenting on whether her door is fully closed, she grabs the handle to possibly (pull in some?). We have the bubble windows and her door quickly pops open. My mind goes quickly to “protect tail rotor”. What I did was a quickish stop to about 40kts and at the same time a bit of right pedal in case the door did come off – in retrospect I believed this to be OK

I’d be interested in comments from the Pros/Old timers on the above reaction. I reached across her and held the door handle as I was slowing - I can add that you would be surprised how much force the bubble windows pull outwards at speed.

Last edited by RMK; 9th Jul 2012 at 22:25.