Old 9th Jul 2012, 19:17
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOVES
Clandestino
You who are so conceited why did you ignore my sentence:
Sorry, missed it. Beg your pardon.

Originally Posted by DOVES
If I remember well some fuel had been transferred to the tail (which I suppose happens automatically during cruise, like on MD11, to reduce fuel consumption) making it even more hopeless, if they wanted and had tried, to exit the condition of deep stall they were in.
Almost accurate but largely irrelevant.

It is true fuel was transfered to trim tank to move CG aft and thereby reduce trim drag. It is true that aft CG tends to exacerbate the problem of stall recovery. It is also true that crew did not recognize unreliable airspeed. It is true stall was completely CM2 induced. It is true no one on flightdeck ever verbalized the recognition of stall warning or need to perform stall recovery. Term "deep stall" has very specific meaning: it denotes stall that can not be recovered from by using controls normally available to crew. While no A330 before AF447 has ever ventured into such a high alpha range, there are indications in FDR data that nose could be lowered and AoA decreased as there were three occasions where the nose nodded downwards: first time when power was reduced briefly, second and third time when elevators just moved from full nose up to half nose up position as first right, then left stick briefly went ahead of neutral so it seems A330 are not prone to deep stalls/locked-in condition.
Originally Posted by robertbarsch
1. Don't fly into a storm
They never did.