PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar to start recruiting
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2012, 09:47
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Change of thread direction

Don't you find that interesting though? For an organisation that purports to uphold all of QF's safety standards they are quite happy to take the fish that John West rejects. Why is that? It's something I've never been able to fathom.

I understand the concept full well that just because you get knocked back from one organisation that it doesn't mean you're a loser. I'm sure we all know multitudes of examples of those who have missed out on one airline only to turn out to be great airlines at operator B. Conversely, I'm sure we all look at some people in our respective companies and scratch our heads as to how they ever got through the hoops. However, when J* markets itself as upholding all of QF's safety values, history, culture, etc, it's interesting that they're prepared to take on people that QF has deemed not suitable. What is it in J*'s recruitment process that makes a person suitable when they were previously unusable for Qantas? Are they looking at different criteria? Are they looking at the same results but in a different manner? Do they actually just have a lower benchmark? Are they looking for someone who is perhaps that tad more compliant and this will translate into an easier industrial environment?

I'm well aware of changing standards in J* recruiting from time to time- particularly a point a few years back where the psych screening benchmark was changed due to a lack of people meeting the required grade. I think that's a very different thing to what we're discussing now though.

So as to the pay issue and QF drivers. Many QF crew did in fact speak out about the poor terms and conditions at J* that existed when they first started up. Those terms and conditions have improved significantly since those times. Certainly the terms and conditions between QF and J* have narrowed considerably- certainly for those QF crew who are looking at demotion or multiple more years in their current rank. Perhaps that's also due to QF drivers' terms and conditions not having improved as we would have expected in normal times- 2+ years since a pay rise. Perhaps QF drivers are just starting to act like the mercenaries that QF has treated them like for the past 3-5 years.

Anyway, that's it from me for today.