PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I turned down Cathay Pacific (SO Transition)
Old 9th Jul 2012, 07:59
K.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude...chill out. We're trying to help. You asked for an opinion and you got it. No need to get upset.

To be very honest, it would look weird if a pilot from any another faith left the cockpit to pray. Passengers should not have to see that. As a pilot, especially in these days of global paranoia, you gotta be damn careful how you act in front of your passengers. You have to be extremely professional. I'm not telling you not to pray, I'm telling you that it would be completely inappropriate to do in public; so stay in the cockpit if you can, or go to the crew quarters and pray there. You have to also take the culture of the country into account. Doing this in the USA would be difficult, no explanation needed there. If you were to do this while flying for Etihad or Qatar, not as big a deal, merely because its seen as normal and thus is accepted.

I'm sure that if praying was a major safety issue, which i personally don't think it is, then there would be strict rules about it (I haven't found any). You're right, the same rules apply when one pilot leaves the cockpit to go to the bathroom.

Basically, whatever you leave the cockpit to do, don't do it in front of your passengers, they may not like it, and its not professional.

Happy Landings