PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 1st Jan 2003, 00:48
sycamore

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
s/e apps.

A Verry Happy New Year To You All

ffto
Haven`t written you out at all-yet,
remember- if it ain`t broke - don`t fix it!
if it is broke- don`t try to fix it in flight(unless you are an engineer ,and can do so!)
Why fly around for an hour trying to unfeather a prop?you could have probably flown to an airfield,found an engineer and fixed the problem and flown home in that time!
Why did you suspect it had iced -up? were you in icing conditions with the engine shut -down?
As I said earlier ,you may have compounded the problem by playing about trying to fix it in flight, and may have ended up with a prop unfeathered,windmilling, poss. overspeeding,and found yourself in a bigger can of worms than you thought possible. You had also wasted an hours flying,and you may have found that ,perhaps a little short on fuel ,you then had a gear problem,etc,etc. As you were on finals ,some fool decided to walk across the runway to hug a tree ,perhaps, and you had to go around,-- below committal height-- wind -milling prop, etc etc!

I could ,of course thow in a few more " gotcha`s", but I HOPE the threads have given you, and possibly a few inexperienced twin pilots a few thoughts for the New Year..

Capt Airprox
On your first post you are in favour of declaring an emergency,as it will probably minimise ATC,etc, and allow a low-time pilot breathing space to sort it all out without duress ,and with probable assistance-- couldn`t agree more!!
Because ,if you don`t declare an emergency ,you may get cut up,and may have to go-around, and may possibly screw it up!

So, if you are instructing, I presume the a/c is PT,what is the accel/stop distance rqd. for a Seneca,on your strip at mtow/rtow?
Why do you want students to get " low and slow" on apps? Even s/e apps should be flown to a nominal 3 deg G/p,at the correct app,speed and configuration; anything else can lead to a lot of trouble.-- or are you an old ex-Meteor/Canberra QFI ?

Syc