PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 23:26
Case One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengineer
Could any of you professionals here explain what knowledge of flight physics is taught to pilots in their training

This: CDBDA AADCD BAADC CADCB BABCD AACDB BACDA. I kid you not
What?

Originally Posted by Turbine D
Posted by deSitter

Quote:
Well there was a quite gibbous Moon that night, should have provided plenty of visual stimulus with the lights dimmed.

True, if you were headed to Rio, not true if you were headed from Rio (moon position in the sky that night). Anyhow, they were in the cloud when things started going awry.
Well, they turned through 180 degrees on the way down, I wonder if they really were IMC the entire time. Not that this should matter, they had attitude information throughout.

Originally Posted by DOVES
- You loose the manual cotrol of throttles under 50 'R.A.
- The autothrottle is excluded by removing the Flight Director/s
Most of my manual landings are in manual thrust and I've yet to loose control of the engines. Switching both the FDs off puts A/THR in SPEED mode which is the reason for several Airbus procedures.

Quote:
1. The loss of airspeed information caused a change in the FCS mode,

Surprise, surprise. What would you want autopilot to do? Follow possibly wrong data?
Don't be silly, how about downgrading to another mode such as attitude hold?

Quote:
This caused the horizontal stabilizer (THS) to automatically apply full nose‐up trim

Per design. As would full nose down stick make FCS try to achieve -1G so it would go full nose down with elevators and wind the THS down until this is achieved. You can't hit -1G in upright stall so full stick forward demand cannot be satisfied until the aeroplane is flying again.
I don't think so. Although (speed stability protection aside), in Alternate Law the SS is still providing load factor demand, and the aeroplane is stressed to minus 1g, I don't think you can read that as the FCS would demand minus 1g. However Airbus manuals are cr@p, so I can't be certain - can you?

And again I'm afraid:

Quote:
The Flight Data Recorder (FDR) indicates that, incredibly, the stall warning ceased (as designed) while the airplane was still in a deeply stalled condition, then reappeared when recovery action was attempted, adding even more confusion to the situation.

Nice try but this is trying to have it both ways: first CM2 doesn't pay attention to stall warnings for 54 seconds, then all at sudden he can hear it but assumes "STALL STALL" means "pull-up!"
When someone is panicing I think you can have it both ways, they are not thinking logically, and this design feature does not help.

Airbus make a good product, but their philosophy was radical and is over a quarter of a century old now. It is high time for a comprehensive review based on operational experience, not just tinkering and more AB Coolade. They could start by surveying pilot opinion of various features of their products.

Won't happen, business as usual.

Last edited by Case One; 9th Jul 2012 at 04:56. Reason: Insomnia.