PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to call go around exactly?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 22:59
darkbarly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a newbie once. With the benefit of hindsight I recall the following advice:

Fly every approach to a GA.

When all Checklist - Crew - Company - ATC parameters are met THEN,

Elect to land.

I also recall that my initial training on type only required me to demonstrate fully configured misses at decision. Another 1000 hrs on type passed before I was familiar with going around not fully configured, from above the glide slope, towards departing traffic or during AWOPS ILS capture when the AP drops out etc.

Ultimately, each airline has its own 'line in the sand' (be it 1000' agl, 4 miles etc) which represents the margin by which you and it mitigate the risk of controlled flight into a lawsuit, or worse. IMHO professionalism means not crossing the line and this requires self discipline and on certain days, a LOT of effort.

I have a lot more respect for those that make sustained efforts to toe this line over and above those who creep across it as, fundamentally, they're just plain lazy.

Happy flying meatlover.

Please post again soon when you vacate the runway, look down at your plate and realise you are still looking at the SID you briefed on departure to your home base