PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 20:49
Danny42C

Taphappy,

Don't mention it ! We were every bit as absorbed as you were in our own affairs out there; the European theatre was a distant rumble of something that was going on half a world away. News of Glorious Victories and (rather a lot of) Masterly Strategic Withdrawals filtered out to us, of course, and they were received with a certain amount of cynicism, but mostly we crossed off the days till the "troopship just leaving Bombay" of the song would have us on board.

We did a three-year tour, but it could vary a bit. Humour? "it's bein' so cheerful 'as keeps us goin'" - I suspect it was the same with you.

Trial by Water was never inflicted on us, although we had the whole Bristol Channel on the doorstep; you would have been better off in the sea: you float better in salt water. (How do you con a PFI that you can swim 100yd when you can't? - Chugalug's question - Waterwings?) Perhaps that's why "Tee Emm" placed such emphasis on dinghy drill - half the crews couldn't swim!

Two storey bunks - how did they manage Kit Inspections ? - on stilts?

7/6 a day, and you're not even an LAC yet? And you go on leave till the next posting ? Were there no Transit Camps ?..... Air Force's goin' to the dogs!........ Now in my time, Sir........

Seriously, Taphappy, keep up the good work. You're doing fine. (it's up to me, now),

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 11th Jul 2012 at 16:36. Reason: Correct Spelling Error.