PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 20:36
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AF 447 report out

I am not an expert in flying large pax a/c. I am a retired ATCO. Therefore, I restrict myself to what I understand of the technicalities of this incident (very little ) & qualify that with my experience of life.

It would seem to me that in life very few people (or firms) are ready to shoulder the blame (the more so when the subject is a catastrophic incident). Most people & organisations seek to avoid blame & responsibility as best they can. All the more so when they have a vested interest.

So, professional pilots are reticent to acknowledge that their colleagues could possibly have made what seem to be elementary mistakes.

Airlines seek to avoid taking a share of blame which would expose them to litigation.

Aircraft manufacturers, the same.

The last 2 seek to put pressure on the investigation authorities to avoid them publishing anything (or too much of anything) which might facilitate or ease the process of litigation being initiated against them.

& the Investigators are "mindful" of the repercussions which could occur to their national flagship manufacturers & airlines if they publish anything which pins the blame too firmly on the manufacturers or the airlines.

It is my suspicion that may be what happened here. I make no accusations; but, I draw on my experience in ATC & life in general when I suggest that no single element in this equation was particularly more to blame than any other.

I have seen, & been involved in, ATC incidents (of which I had a FULL understanding) & know that the investigators did not always get their conclusions totally correct. I do not know if these did.

My sympathies go to the crew, who faced a horrendous situation, & who, consequently seem to have "taken leave of their professional senses" - quite how & why is beyond me ! & to the passengers & their families.

Above all I hope that the full & exact reason for this crash is now publicly known & that a similar situation will never re-occur.