PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Total Hip Replacement recovery
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 18:24
Joe Jingles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Hip Replacement

Hello Clare,

I had to have this op 2 years ago. Like you, I struggled on for years in pain - although I bought the cane sooner!

I think I was advised that about 6 weeks was required before driving etc, but I seem to recall that I was actually behind the wheel before that. What the legal requirements are for your flying situation are, I suggest, worth investigating (as a retired ATCO I didn't have that problem). What made a big difference in my case was the support I received from the local health service. They provided me with advice & a comprehensive exercise plan which proved invaluable (I've still got it, might be able to scan it for you if necessary). My sister had the operation at about the same time (with a different health authority) and received nothing like that. A friend of ours had the op in the USA and was shown the door with no advice.

The operation (my first, after a lifetime of near perfect health) was no problem. Afterwards, I attacked the problem of walking again with a determination which is unusual for me. As soon as I was on my feet I was doing the exercises - rather tedious for someone as unathletic as me, but worth it. I can only say, go for it - the pain relief is magical. BUT, do check what type of replacement they are proposing. Mine was ceramic. There are a lot of problems surfacing with metal ones...