PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Bomber Command" ITV1 Programme
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 17:57
allan125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Foldie

I agree that some of the Americans bombed Prague in error instead of Dresden - however, on page 316 of "Dresden" it states "The Eighth U.S. Army Air Force had originally been scheduled to go in ahead of the British against Dresden on February 13. The whims of the weather had changed that. Now they were going in after the British. This was not unusual. What was unusual was how much of the target city had already been wrecked - in the course of a single night - before the Americans even took to the air" which confirms what I wrote earlier.

I attended a very interesting talk on Dresden (and the book) by Frederick Taylor when the book was published - and purchased one that he signed for me - I also had a relation who flew on the Dresden op near to the end of his 34 op tour for 61 squadron, usually as a navigator in the Arawyn Davies crew, however on the Dresden op his pilot was F/O R J Palmer, and they were in LL843 one of the 34 Lancasters to complete 100 ops (or more).

LL843 is believed to have completed 118 ops by the end of the european war, but this may include "Manna" or "Exodus" sorties.

As the Arawyn Davies crew they had also flown in LL843 on their first op (to the Russelsheim Opel works on 12/13 August '44) and had been attacked by two night fighters and it was also damaged by flak severely enough for it to be out of operation for several weeks being sent back to Avro's for repair and a refit.

Allan