PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 14:14
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also uncertain how representative a sim exercise would be with AoAs of that value - can they even be achieved and is the software up to the job?
Level D simulators generally have a touch screen instructor station display. On the systems/flight diagnostic page there is an icon labeled "INPUT GUIDANCE".

Selecting this page allows you to choose a specific internal software parameter, such as ALPHA, and have it 'artificially' displayed on the ND where VOR DME would normally be. This function allows two different parameters to be selected at any given time, i.e. VOR 1 DME & VOR 2 DME could be set to display ALPHA & BETA. (A poor man's AOA )

The ALPHA values at any point are very consistent with those from the FDR, a credit to the Sim manufacturers and the value of the 'predicted' data provided with the software 'flight package'. (BETA is another story)

I believe the mathematical analyses of recovery altitudes assumed a constant average nose down pitch rate (based on actual pitch rates generated for short periods from the FDR data) and a specific constant 'G' applied at a given speed on the pull-out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is all well and good if the FCS is 'agreeable' to providing those pitch rates over the extended period of time encompassing the full exercise. In other words, the analysis is, at least partially, independent of the specific flight control system as the SS is held forward for longer and longer periods, the 'assumed' long term pitch rate being extrapolated from short periods.

It may be entirely representative...