PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 10:04
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I admit I cannot understand these figures - with an AoA of 35-40 degrees, and a pitch attitude of ?13-18 degrees? an instantaneous change to 10 degrees nose down still leaves you with an (admittedly improving) AoA (ball park) of between 12 and 17 degrees. ie no 'instant' unstall. How long do you wait? Are we not confusing attitude with Aoa here? Go back to ?mm's? early AoA pics and overlay a 10 degrees nose down pitch.
I was hoping to stay lurking until I had time to read the whole of the final report, but since several people have referred to my theoretical study I thought I'd better chip in.
Yeah I agree the process is not intuitive. I gave my best shot at an explanation in Thread 8 post # 175. Not an 'instant' unstall though - it takes quite a while to get the AoA down to sensible levels. I also fully agree with the statement that this represents theoretical possibilities and that the psychological pressures on the pilot might well inhibit maintaining the necessary ND attitude for long enough. And no, I think I understand the difference between attitude and AoA well enough.
As for the BEA response - I think they said they didn't know because nobody had done the sums or (certainly) any relevant flight tests. They didn't (AFAIK) say it was impossible.