PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 31st Dec 2002, 19:27
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some speculation

Perhaps the following facts MIGHT (and I repeat "might") shed a little light on why this pilot made the decision to go around.

When the pilot started flying 10 years ago, his wife made him promise that he would never fly at night, and never fly in bad weather. To my knowledge he kept this promise, even though he was IR rated. His wife also had a very bad car accident last year, and only recently recovered from it. The plane was occupied by his entire family, including his wife and 3 children.

My wife and I have spoken at length about this accident. She thinks that maybe the engine failure terrified the wife, because she was afraid of her husband's flying in the first place, and had also recently experienced a bad traffic accident with a very painful recovery. My wife thinks that maybe she was panicked by the emergency, and maybe thought they were going to crash at the end of the runway as he neared touchdown, and maybe she frantically talked her husband into a go-around.

Anyway that's my wife's opinion, and of course this is pure speculation. Fear in the cockpit couldn't be a good thing, but again, pure speculation on my part.