PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police involvement in RAF Air Accidents
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 09:12
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well from one of these emergency exercises as a civi. Unless you have been on one of these exercises and have had the brief by plod its not routeinly briefed to civi pilots what the process is.

Most pilot unions brief that in the event of an accident keep you mouth well and truely shut until you have legal representation this goes for both company and police questioning.

They reckon all aircraft crashes are the scene of a crime until proven otherwise. Be it external ie terroist or semi external ie negligence by an external agency ie F16 crash cairngorms.

So they have to treat the whole thing as a crime with evidence being documented and processed and also witness statements etc. All have a trail incase of a prosecution. Then when its decided that there is no criminal case they stop. If there are deaths involved they have to continue to have a finger in the pie until the coroner/fiscal resolves any issues.

Its to note though that the process in Scotland is quite a bit different to england and wales.

If you look else where on the board you will see the fall out from the Helios crash.

To add it was not my intention to imply that the cairngorm accident was actually due to negligence more that the police had to inform the fiscal of there investigation which they did, in case of criminal proccedings. I apologise for any offense taken by anyone. I have always maintained that the pilot is always responsable for terrain seperation what ever service you are under and whatever class of airspace you are in.

Last edited by mad_jock; 8th Jul 2012 at 19:24.