PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Record: Heli v Fixed
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 08:52
Goody35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, they are still recovering deer in the mountainous southern alps

Fortunately the pioneering days of "farmers" jumping into early model R22's and flying into rugged mountainous terrain and killing themselves with great regularity is well and truly behind us. Some of those pilots have some amazing stories and skills in a chopper that are truly phenominal.

My PPL flight testing officer was 70 a "legend" with over 25,000 hours - he scared the living daylights out of me during the flight test. I had no idea someone could be so skilled ..he danced this little 22 around the tree tops, in confined areas and up tiny creeks like it was on rails.

Last week we had one of the sons of legendary NZ aviator Sir Tim Wallis staying at a resort we own, we had a chance to talk all things RW. Sir Tim is the father of the chopper industry in NZ and by all accounts one of life's true gentleman and real characters ....anyone interested in seeing where the helicopter deer recovery industry all started can go to this web site; the company now operated by Sir Tim's sons and view the documentary on line called "Country Calendar"

Alpine Helicopters

Safe Flying