PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of holiday-making in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2012, 08:01
Proplinerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I was one of the privileged people who went on quite a lot of foreign holidays in the 1960s, as my father was a succesful solicitor, so he could afford these holidays. As far as I can remember tho, all our foreign holidays in those days were via scheduled flights, not charters.

The first trip abroad of which I have some fragmentary memories was a holiday in La Baule, France, in Aug/Sept 1962: sadly I don't remember the flights (I was only four at the time), but I have worked out that we must have flown on a BEA Vanguard from Manchester to London (because they were the type being used on that service then); then on to La Baule in an Air France Super Connie!

I know it was an AF L1049G because, by amazing good fortune, my father shot a thirty second sequence on his cine-camera, of me, my mother and one of my sisters getting on the L1049G, then of the aircraft taxiing for takeoff and then taking off! It's a long story why he wasn't flying with us. I put the film on You Tube some years ago and here is a link to it:

Then it was back to Manchester from LHR, presumably on another BEA Vanguard.

I do remember several more flights from Manchester to and from London on BEA Vanguards-a lovely aircraft. I don't think we made any international flights from M/C in the 1960s-it always seemed to be down to LHR first, then on from there.

I also flew in a BEA Viscount 800 from LHR to Biarritz, via Bordeaux, in August 1964 and I do have reasonably clear memories of that, including a visit to the cockpit.

There was also a Swissair Coronado from LHR to Zurich in Feb 1969, followed by a Balair Friendship to Innsbruck. That was for a skiing holiday in Obergurgl. Then back to ZH on the Friendship a week later, but then we went home via Belgium (to visit some relatives), giving me my one and only flight on a 707 (of Sabena), to Brussels, followed, I would guess, by a Sabena Caravelle or perhaps a 727, back to Manchester.

I think I also flew on a BEA Comet to Nice and back from LHR in 1965, for a holiday there. I also flew on quite a few BEA Tridents, but when we missed our BEA flight back from Milan Linate in June 1968, we were re-routed via Amsterdam on a KLM Electra! Then back to Manchester on a BEA Trident. We had been staying in Lugano, Switzerland.

We also had quite a few holidays in the UK-Abersoch, Llandudno, Saunton Sands and we always drove to these.

Great days! And even allowing for the fact that I was a child then, flying was a great adventure. Nowadays, security is an annoying, but necessary and often tedious chore and I find flying little different to catching a bus, what with walking down a metal tube into an all but invisible aircraft and modern airliners nearly all being practically identical. And the way that airports the world over are so mad keen for you to buy overpriced fashion items, that it is in your face all the time, I just find annoying.

I'm very glad I was lucky enough to fly to and from holidays in the 1960s.

Last edited by Proplinerman; 8th Jul 2012 at 14:43.